Saturday, August 25, 2012

The great brownie challenge

(Disclaimer - if you're reading this post and expect to see pictures - stop now, I don't really have any)

I have a confession - I LOVE brownies.  Despite all of the cakes, cupcakes and cookies that I bake and generally have laying around the house and in the freezer, when I get a craving it's usually for brownies.  And once I make a pan, well, they don't really last too long.  My favorite thing about brownies, other than the chocolate, is the fact that you really can't undercook brownies.  Overcook, well, just have a glass of milk on hand...

I believe I come by this love naturally and blame my mother completely (just kidding, mom!).  I'm pretty sure boxed brownies were one of the first things I learned to "bake" and we baked them A LOT. And while boxed brownies are great in a pinch (Ghiradelli is my choice), there is nothing like a pan of homemade, from scratch brownies.  My biggest problem has been finding the "best" one.  So, when I get a hankering for some brownies I've been trying to test out a new recipe and trust me, I have several on hand and there are LOTS that claim to be the best.  Today, I'm going to share some of my favorites with you in hopes that you'll return the favor (@Whitney - no recipes with veggies).

First up - Barefoot Contessa's "Outrageous Brownies" from The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook.  These brownies are not for those in a pinch.  They actually take some time and A LOT of chocolate.  I also warn you, if you're not a caffeine drinker (or you're pregnant), you might want to leave out the 3 tablespoons of instant coffee granules.

Next - Baked's "The Baked Brownie" from Baked: New Frontiers In Baking. I have made these in the past, but decided to try them again and boy am I glad I did. This is one of those that you really have to pay attention to the recipe and the cook time.  They are amazing!!!

And finally - Fudgy Brownies from The Essence of Chocolate.  I think I need to try these again.  This is one of those recipes that you really have to watch how long you stir so you don't get too much air in the batter and change the consistency.  But they are a lot simpler than the other two recipes.

Now you're turn, what are some of your favorite recipes?

Happy Baking!
Sara



No comments:

Post a Comment