Saturday, August 10, 2013

Learning to let go

Warning: this post has nothing to do with baking other than to explain why I haven't been doing so.  As you may know, I had a baby in December. She is truly the greatest thing I have ever done and brings joy to our life everyday.

Before she was born, I had grand ideas of cooking and baking while she napped peacefully. My husband would come home to a hot meal and desserts would be plentiful. (Ok mom, you can stop laughing now.) Enter reality - she doesn't nap...seriously! Did you know not all babies are programmed to sleep 2 hours at a time during the day. Who knew?! Some days she'll nap for an hour - hour plus, but most days I get 3-25 minute naps. 25 minutes! There's little you can actually get done in 25 minutes. Her room is like a spa- blanket over the window, soft music, fan, cool but not cold - I want to lie down every time I go in there! I've tried nap training, have put lots of miles on my car and held her for hours on end. Not to mention the hours of stressing, crying and worrying. I've read books, blogs, talked to doctors - all of it regarding her napping. After 8 months I've decided to try a new approach - letting go. So my baby doesn't nap, I can't be the only one and I'm sure those moms haven't put their life and hobbies on hold. 

We recently bought a Johnny Jump Up with the hopes (at least my hopes) of wearing her out so she'll sleep. However, it really just allows my husband and I the opportunity to contain her and get breakfast or lunch made and actually eat it. There's no reason I can't put her in the jump up and whip up a cake or cookies. As she gets older I hope to share my love of baking with her, but there's no reason I can't start now! 

I'm excited about my new outlook on our days and am looking forward to getting back to the world of baking. I even have a couple of "jobs" coming up so stay tuned for more about those. 

I hope you have sweet dreams - day or night!
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment