Thursday, August 22, 2013

I love first birthdays

This is not news - I love first birthdays! However, this was the first birthday I went to with a child of my own - whole new experience - and I loved it! First birthdays are serious business. In all honesty, I've already started planning wee-ones first birthday.  No, I won't tell you what it is, but it will be "fabulous, darling" (there's your hint).

This was for my friend's daughter, Elizabeth, at Gymboree Play and Music.  As far as I'm concerned this was a brilliant place for a first birthday - lots of activities and they can customize it to your age group and needs.  There was no clean up, no set up, just pay and you're done - definitely one to file away for the future. But enough about that and on to the sweets.

For the birthday girl, I made a vanilla cake with a vanilla frosting. The vanilla frosting was courtesy of a website that I stalk frequent Sweetapolita that seriously tastes like vanilla ice cream.  It was AH-MAZING! It was a 6 inch round with sprinkles.  I had high hopes for Elizabeth digging into the cake and food flying, and while that didn't happen she did get some good handfuls and throw them on the ground (always good entertainment).
The cake before
Elizabeth and her sweet parents
Love the fistful of cake
Throwing the cake on the floor
For the guests I did 3 different kinds of cupcakes: vanilla with vanilla frosting (same recipe as above), strawberry with vanilla/creme bouquet buttercream and chocolate with chocolate frosting.  I must say, all three were delicious and we were grateful for leftovers.  There was no "theme" for the party, but the decor was polka dots, so I adorned the cupcakes with large sprinkles.  And who doesn't love sprinkles?!
Chocolate with chocolate
Strawberry and vanilla 

All in all it was a wonderful success! And my accomplishment was that I managed to do this with Lucy not napping.  She did grace me with an almost 2 hour nap on Saturday (in her carseat, but that's another issue entirely).

I leave you with a picture of the birthday girl and her friends - have you ever seen anything more adorable?!


No comments:

Post a Comment